Ultima Thule

In ancient times the northernmost region of the habitable world - hence, any distant, unknown or mysterious land.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Celebrating diversity on campus

By Aussiegirl

Do you know what your children are learning in those expensive colleges? I'm currently reading a book about the cultural revolution in China, and the insane excesses of Mao-inspired political correctness which swept that country and resulted in the deaths and imprisonment, torture and beatings of countless millions of innocent victims. Believe me, that craziness was not far removed from what is going on here.

FrontPage magazine.com :: Academic Brainwashing: A Resident Assistant's Tale by Athena Kerry

As a Resident Assistant (student counselor) in an undergraduate dorm in a well-known Catholic university, I was anything but surprised at Kevin Carter’s recent article, "How Faculty Radicals Made Me a Paleo-Conservative." The diversity training in which Carter was forced to participate is a staple of student activities at universities spanning the country. And it’s even worse from the inside.

As a student employee of the university, I have been force-fed diversity indoctrination non-stop.

When I first interviewed for an RA job, a group of us were given the task of designing an ideal residence hall. Our interviewers observed our ability to work together.

When we presented our design (an ivy covered dorm, spiraling like the Guggenheim, complete with a rooftop garden and swimming pool, a small theater, game room, state-of-the-art study spaces and a printing center), our interviewers were impressed by our creativity and enthusiasm. But they asked only two questions:

How do you address the needs of non-Christian students who may need worship space? and

How would you encourage any students who may not support GLBTQA to become "persons of care"?

GLBTQA?

Persons of care?

These terms were foreign to me. And context clues weren’t serving me well. I stepped back and let my fellow students stumble and stutter their way through some confused answers.

None of us were hired.

Last year, I applied again for the same position and again went through the same interview process. But this time, I saw it coming. I included in my imaginary residence hall a mosque, a prayer room, a temple, a chapel, and a "rainbow room" for what I now know is the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transsexual, Queer, and Asexual community.

There wasn’t room for the theater, the game room or the printing center—but, hey, I was hired.

Since my hire, I’ve been required to sit through nine mandatory hours of "Safe Space" training. "Safe Space" means creating a supportive environment for GLB, etc. I’ve been given more than 70 pages of literature on how to develop "Safe Spaces."

I also received a glossary of terms that are acceptable and not acceptable to use in my position. "Boyfriend" and "girlfriend" are out, unless used in conjunction—as in "do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend?" thereby avoiding the assumption of heterosexuality.

My emails, online profiles, and bedroom decorations are subject to inspection if I am suspected of violating any diversity policies.

I was told to place myself on something called the Riddle Homophobia Scale. I chose the "acceptance" level. As it turned out, "tolerance" and "acceptance" are still considered "homophobic" ("implies there is something to accept"). Ultimately, I was told, I should aim to find myself nurturing GLBTQA, wherein I will realize that "gay/lesbian people are indispensable to our society," and will view GLBTQAs with "genuine affection and delight," manifested by an eagerness to be an ally and advocate for their community.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home