Ultima Thule

In ancient times the northernmost region of the habitable world - hence, any distant, unknown or mysterious land.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

What the Pope taught Larry Kudlow

By Aussiegirl

Don't miss Larry Kudlow's moving piece:

Be Not Afraid

It was sometime in 1993 when I first read the great papal encyclical "Splendor of Truth," written by Pope John Paul II. The slender book was recommended by Fr. C. John McClosky while he was counseling me during the worst personal crisis of my life: Alcohol and drug abuse were dragging me down. The problem got much worse before I finally surrendered to God, literally on my knees, and began a new life of faith -- and sobriety.

John Paul's book had no direct advice on drugs or alcohol. But, then again, as I came to realize later, it had everything to do with these things. The book is about the need for spiritual and moral courage in choosing good over evil in our daily lives. It is about being personally accountable for our actions. It is about abiding by our conscience so that we may hear the voice of God and follow His direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home