Ultima Thule

In ancient times the northernmost region of the habitable world - hence, any distant, unknown or mysterious land.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Create A Critter Buffet

by: BonnieBlueFlag


A hummingbird slows to a hover as it approaches a feeder in Lufkin, Texas. The small, speedy bird made several visits to the site over the course of the afternoon. (AP Photo/Joel Andrews)

Just a reminder, that everyone should look out for our feathered and furry friends during the heats spells that we have been having.

A hummingbird feeder is an inexpensive way to have hours of entertainment.

If you don't have a bird bath, put out a large shallow pan of fresh water on a table or a bench. Try not to put it next to a bush, where the neighborhood kitty cat can hide and wait for lunch.

Butterflies love overly ripe bananas, so be creative in finding a place for it outdoors. You've always wondered what to do with that banana anyway.

No matter where you live, there is a variety of wildlife that could benefit from your thoughtfulness.

Aussiegirl and I would love to hear about the critters in your neck of the woods.

5 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Aussiegirl said...

Wow!! Great photo, Bonnie -- I love the idea of the banana -- I'll try it. I have butterflies visiting my coneflowers now -- and also some golden finches -- absolutely gorgeous -- the male looks just like a canary.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger BonnieBlueFlag said...

I have a feeder that was designed for Nyjer (formerly called Niger) seed, and the finches just love it, especially the Gold Finches. The male Gold Finches look like bright yellow parakeets they are so beautiful. The little females are cute, but they are only a drab green, almost an Army camouflage color.

When I go out and water all of my flowers, and shrubbery early in the morning, the butterflies show up for a drink from the droplets that are sitting on the leaves.

The hummingbird in the picture is a Western U.S. variety, of which there are several. The eastern half of the U.S. only has one type of hummingbird, the Ruby Throated hummingbird. The males and the females are both a lovely iridescent green color, but the male has a gorgeous sparkly ruby red throat.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Billy D said...

I've got it pretty good in my neck of the woods. (NH) The birds in my neighborhood include yellow and purple finches, (purple finch is the state bird) Cardinals, hummingbirds, bluebirds, chickadees, blue-jays, orioles, cedar waxwings and the noisy crows.
I've got deer, moose and foxes, coyotes, as well as skunks, racoons, and opposums in my back and front yards on a regular basis, and I have a group of roughly two dozen wild turkeys that live in the pines about 40 - 50 ft. behind my house.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger BonnieBlueFlag said...

Billy D, your neck of the woods sounds so inviting. I never get tired of watching the antics of the animals at various times of the year.

I have wild turkeys too, and this year we had 11 chicks. It is so cute to watch the hens teach them to take a dirt bath. They find a bare patch in the yard and just throw the dust all over themselves. They can really throw a lot of dust!

I'm jealous of your moose, but NOT the skunks!

You just haven't lived, until a skunk has gotten under a country house in the middle of a very cold night. You can open the windows and get under every blanket you can find, you can sleep in the car, or you can just leave and never look back.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Billy D said...

When we were kids, my cousin got nailed dead on by a skunk. He was rotten! Oh, you couldn't stand being near him. He did a lot of crying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home