Ultima Thule

In ancient times the northernmost region of the habitable world - hence, any distant, unknown or mysterious land.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The haunting of the White House -- roses and presidents and queens -- oh, my

By Aussiegirl

Are you all Miersed out? Is the daily grind of depressing news just becoming a bit much? Well, hurry on over to BonnieBlueFlag and get ready for Halloween. Our good friend Bonnie has just posted three new and exciting ghost stories, all to do with the White House. And you know when you read anything over there that she has researched this down to its tippy-toes -- these are not just unfounded rumors but documented hauntings.

BonnieBlueFlag: "Queen Wilhelmina

It was 1945 and Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands was in Washington, D.C. on an official state visit. She was happy to be with friends, Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, the President and First Lady of the U.S. The war had brought about quick and lasting friendships for many of the heads of state, because, they had been through so much together, in their joint effort to stop the spread of the Nazis throughout Europe."

5 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Michael Morrison said...

OF COURSE the White House is haunted!
Currently by George W. Bush.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Aussiegirl said...

Maybe we need an ghost buster!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger BonnieBlueFlag said...

Michael, you are going to give me nightmares!

Your mention of a current haunting by George W. Bush, made me realize, that if any ghost will absolutely positively move back into the White House, it will be Bill Clinton, and Hillary won't be far behind.

Can you imagine having to live in the White House with the Bickersons floating around?

Watch out! Hillary, the poltergeist, just threw another lamp at Bill!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Michael Morrison said...

"The Bickersons"?
Bonnie, either you are much older than any of us would have thought, or you are quite the knowledgeable scholar of antique broadcasting.
(For would-be scholars, see http://www.bickersons.com.)
Somewhere among my souvenirs is a recording of an interview I did with Don Ameche, about 1984, at the time of the release of "Cocoon."
Alas, I never got to meet Frances Langford -- she was before even my time.
As one of my old newspaper customers used to say, "Thanks for the memories."

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger BonnieBlueFlag said...

Hey Michael,

"Baby Snooks!" I loved Fanny Brice's routines as Baby Snooks. But, I didn't realize that she was born in 1891.

Well, here is what happened . . . When I was a little girl I got a small child's record player for Christmas, and Santa Claus also picked out some records for me. There was Gene Autry signing "Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer," one about a snowman, and a couple that had been recorded by Baby Snooks (Fanny Brice). Obviously, Santa being older than me, he thought I would like Baby Snooks.

I was too young then to have any idea who Fanny Brice was, but I never forgot about her and Baby Snooks. Years later when Barbra Striesand (gag me) made Fanny Brice popular, I remembered Baby Snooks, but no one else my age seemed to know about that part of her life.

When I was a teenager, my Mama was reading all of these wonderful old biographies about people like Flo Ziegfield and Billy Burke, and as soon as she would put them down, I would pick them up. They had some great showgirl scandals back in that day.

But, there again, I don't think anybody my age was watching Glenda the Good Witch in "The Wizard of Oz," and remembering that she had once been a great Broadway actress, and had been married to Florenz Ziegfield of "Ziegfield Follies" fame.

Now you know the rest of that story . . .

Meanwhile, I'm jealous of your interview with Don Ameche. He made so many wonderful movie appearances, but now he is probably mostly remembered for "Cocoon." My personal favorite is 1943's "Heaven Can Wait" with another favorite, Gene Tierney.

Thanks for pointing out the great web site, it was fun to reminisce.

P.S. Bob Hope was on your paper route? Haha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home