Ultima Thule

In ancient times the northernmost region of the habitable world - hence, any distant, unknown or mysterious land.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Talk about wusses

By Aussiegirl

The loathsomely self-indulgent and shallow blatherings displayed here are an indictment of this empty suit beyond anything I could possibly say. Good men and women bleed and die to protect this pond scum's right to bloviate in print. A mind and a soul are a terrible thing not to possess. I have contempt, but it's such a pathetic display of shallow, adolescent pusillanimous vomitus that pity is almost more appropriate.

Warriors and wusses - Los Angeles Times

I DON'T SUPPORT our troops. This is a particularly difficult opinion to have, especially if you are the kind of person who likes to put bumper stickers on his car. Supporting the troops is a position that even Calvin is unwilling to urinate on.

I'm sure I'd like the troops. They seem gutsy, young and up for anything. If you're wandering into a recruiter's office and signing up for eight years of unknown danger, I want to hang with you in Vegas.

And I've got no problem with other people — the ones who were for the Iraq war — supporting the troops. If you think invading Iraq was a good idea, then by all means, support away. Load up on those patriotic magnets and bracelets and other trinkets the Chinese are making money off of.

4 Comments:

At 4:57 AM, Blogger TJW said...

Immediately after reading this column in the Times, I wrestled with many different feelings. First, I was disbelief followed closely by anger and then disdain. Eventually the overwhelming sense that I had somehow become soiled, urged me up out of the chair to go wash. Finally, as with you I felt pity for Mr. Stein. To someone living a life so shallow, where nothing is ever worth a fight and “irksome” parades for returning veterans is a sensible justification to leave defense of our country to others while sitting safely at home and impugning their sacrifices his column might seem bravely earnest.

I have to view it as a further slap in the face to those who do the dirty work of protecting foolish writers who find so little value in the liberties our country provides that they must at every turn knife them in the back. “Figuratively only.” Pacifism is a luxury only a select few can indulge in because when it becomes too widespread the ability to enjoy the “moral superiority” of it rapidly disappears. Conflict will always find its way to our front door and those lacking the resolve to keep it on the “outside” are synonymous to inviting the vampire to enter. Those unwilling to sit idly by while their way of life is threatened will always have my support and if they ever need forty something fat men on the front lines, I am there! If it ever does get that bad, we’re all in a heap of trouble.

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I could add a thing to what you said, Aussie Girl, but let me just say "ditto" to the outrage you feel about this jerk who is giving aid and comfort to the terrorists who read his rants.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Timothy Birdnow said...

The word ``scumbag`` comes unbidden to mind.

I agree with Mr. Willms wholeheartedly; reading this guy leaves one feeling soiled.

 
At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This might cheer you up ... Hugh Hewitt ripping Joel Stein apart. http://www.radioblogger.com/#001332

Canadians take a go at him here. http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archives/003436.html

Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home