Ultima Thule

In ancient times the northernmost region of the habitable world - hence, any distant, unknown or mysterious land.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

A beautiful aurora



By Aussiegirl

Here's a stunningly beautiful photograph that arrived in the latest email from Spaceweather.com -- below I've posted the relevant part concerned with the photo:

AURORA WATCH: A solar wind stream is buffeting Earth's magnetic field and causing auroras at high latitudes. Last night in Finland, Sauli Koski snapped this picture.

When the solar wind stream first hit Earth on Nov. 9th, the impact spread auroras as far south as Illinois in the United States. Since then, the display has retreated to Alaska, Canada and Scandinavia. Oh, to be in Finland!

1 Comments:

At 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my. That is a great photo. I've never seen any quite like that myself, especially not here in southwest Michigan USA. But I am one of those strange people who claims to have heard northern lights. They woke me up once, and eventually I figured out that the noise was not coming from the pump in the basement, but from the northern lights in the sky. I swear it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home