Ultima Thule

In ancient times the northernmost region of the habitable world - hence, any distant, unknown or mysterious land.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Our Best Friends

Written by: BonnieBlueFlag

As we face a very long weekend of endless stories about Karl Rove being asked to step down, President Bush's need terminate Rove, or at the very least his security clearance; punctuated by the video of absolutely nothing happening on Supreme Court Justice Rehnquist's front lawn; we need to find another more interesting and pleasant topic!

One of my favorite subjects is the menagerie of pets and animals that complete my life. Presently I have four cats and two dogs, which is down from the largest number of critters that I have ever had at one time. Plus, the assortment of wildlife, that can be seen loitering in my yard at any time of the day or night.

Now is one of the best times of the year, when the White Tailed Does begin to bring out their fawns, and the Wild Turkey Hens can be seen leading a parade of little chicks in and out of the woods. This year we have five fawns, two sets of twins and one single, and 11 baby turkey chicks.

My most dependable animal friend and companion is my blue point Siamese cat named General Sterling Price. I call him Sterling, but I probably should have called him The General, because he is very much in charge of what goes on in my life.

His eyes are such a bright blue, that I am unable to take a picture of him, in which he does not appear to be giving you the evil eye. So I borrowed a picture from the Web, of a Siamese cat that looks almost exactly like Sterling.




One of the things that I like most about the Siamese cats is that they are very vocal. Sterling uses that talent most often, to tell me that I am not doing things exactly as he wishes. If I am not petting him in the right spot, he will look at me with those big blue eyes and scold me.

I was surprised to learn that this odd little breed of cat was prized in some areas for his hunting skills, as it has been known to get the best of a cobra snake.

Please share your little friends and companions with us this weekend. Tell us about a pet you have now, or one that holds a special place in your heart from a time gone by.

Written By: BonnieBlueFlag

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home