Ultima Thule

In ancient times the northernmost region of the habitable world - hence, any distant, unknown or mysterious land.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Ultima Thule celebrates one year anniversary

By Aussiegirl

It hardly seems possible that it was one year ago today I wrote my first post on Ultima Thule – it seems like yesterday – and yet it seems an eternity has passed.  Since then, we have gone through the turbulent run-up to the presidential election with all the debates and controversies, and all the fun and nonsense of the political conventions.  Swiftboats sailed into the fray and forever changed the political scene.  Then in October the Orange Revolution swept onto the snowy, wintry streets of Kyiv, and a new democratic country took shape in the homeland of my ancestors.

I want to say a special thank you to Walter G. who publishes Pajama Pack, for getting me into this mess -- I mean business. He talked me into doing it and also encouraged me in the beginning. Also thanks to everyone who has dropped in to Ultima Thule and taken the time to read or comment.  

I hope to continue writing and commenting on this site while watching world events unfold.  I don’t think we have ever lived through such momentous – or perilous times.  It’s not for nothing that the Chinese curse is said to be: “May you live in interesting times.”  And another Chinese curiosity also comes to mind – I have been told that the Chinese character for “danger” is also the same as for the word for “opportunity” -- which is how I see the world we are living in currently -- one fraught with danger, but also pregnant with possibilities.  It’s these issues that we follow here on Ultima Thule, along with a bit of stuff and nonsense and some fun and inspiration now and then to leaven the pie.  

I hope you continue to check in, especially now that BonnieBlueFlag has joined the team.  Stay tuned – there never seems to be a shortage of news!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home