Ultima Thule

In ancient times the northernmost region of the habitable world - hence, any distant, unknown or mysterious land.

Monday, October 18, 2004

Bush? or Kerry? What are the stakes?

By Aussiegirl

Many times throughout history we wonder how different things would have been, if it were not for a single individual. In our own century we need go no further than the shining example of Winston Churchill and the fate of not only England, but the world, had it not been for his lone and brave battle. He carried England, and eventually the Allies, on his broad shoulders and the power of his will and ideas to eventual victory over the forces of darkness, evil and tyranny.

Imagine what would have happened if Chamberlain had carried out his disastrous policy of appeasement, with its seductive promise of "Peace in our time". And while you're at it -- make sure you are speaking either German or Japanese in your fantasy and imagine that jackbooted thugs can break into your home, night or day, and arrest you for even thinking, much less writing such seditious thoughts.

Now fast forward half a century. The United States, and indeed the world, stand on the brink of a precipice. A precipice which threatens to swallow all the progress that man has made for centuries, not only in technology and standards of living, but in philosophy, tolerance and in the appreciation of the rights of man.

The Islamic radicals have declared war on the civilized world. They declare that nothing short of our eradication and the institution of Sharia law and universal Muslim domination will suffice. Already in France and other parts of Europe, cowering nations bow to demands of their Islamic immigrants who insist that their host nation respect and pander to their backward ways.

The enemy may not be Islam, you say. There are peaceful Muslims. I'm sure there are. But they are intimidated into silence and thus acquiescence -- do you think they will stand up for your rights in the face of a sentence of death?

Forget about domestic issues. There is no bigger domestic issue than security. We can quibble over the finer points of education policy or tax policy when we are protected (but George Bush has better ideas on these domestic issues as well).

Imagine a Beslan taking place at your child's school. Imagine every time you see your family off in the morning, that you may never see them again if a terrorist decides to strike. Imagine how you will react when you hear that a nuclear device or dirty bomb has gone off in the downtown area where your husband or wife works.

Fanatics who are bent on death and destruction, who murder women and children and innocent civilians and behead hapless victims while shouting "God is Great!", cannot be reasoned with, they cannot be negotiated with, they will not come to a summit or a peace conference.

John Kerry is the Chamberlain of our time. He demands that any move America makes in its defense meets some "Global Test". He lives in a pre 9/11 world that we would all dearly love to inhabit again. But wishing doesn't make it so.

You may be casting the most important vote of your entire lifetime. One which will reverberate through history for generations. Do not fail the test of history. Do not bear the shame of being one of those who shrank from the hard work and choices of pursuing victory and freedom at all costs. Your children and grandchildren will thank you for it.

Or take your place with those who supported Chamberlain, in their vain desire for "peace at any cost" -- but know -- that as Churchill said of Chamberlain all those years ago: "You were given the choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor and you will have war."


* * * * * * * * * * * *


If I were . . . by BonnieBlueFlag

VOTERS FOR PRESIDENT BUSH:

If I were a Police Officer, I would vote for Bush, because while Kerry wouldn't cross a police picket line in Democratically secure Boston, he had no problem crossing two Florida police picket lines on his way to Orlando. The officer's contract expired Oct. 1, and they had notified Democratic official last week of the planned picket lines. Kerry aides said the picket lines were a surprise ploy of the Republican leaning Police Union.

If I were a Carpenter, a Plumber, an Electrician, etc., I would vote for Bush, because of low interest rates and the decrease in income taxes, new home sales have led the economic recovery. Home builders constructed more than 1.8 million new homes and apartment units last year. New home sales rose by 9.4 percent in August, the biggest increase in four years.

If I were a Real Estate Agent, a Loan Officer, etc., I would vote for Bush, because a record 1.1 million homes were sold last year. And those figures are expected to be exceeded this year.

If I were a Doctor, I would vote for Bush, because I am no longer able to afford medical malpractice insurance due to the unlimited (and often unwarranted) financial judgments awarded to trial lawyers and their clients.

If I were a Teacher, I would vote for Bush, because I went into teaching to make a difference in the lives of the students. However, in order to maintain my own livelihood, I am forced to move children along like sardines on a conveyor belt.

If I were a College Student, I would vote for Bush, because the number of Pell Grants increased by 1.3 million, and there was a 60% funding increase in the past three years.

If I were a Hunter or Gun Owner, I would vote for Bush, because the United Nations is debating a treaty pushed by the International Action Network on Small Arms, for which liberal billionaire George Soros is a chief benefactor. When this was introduced, President Bush sent a delegation to the U.N. to tell them the U.S. will not agree to anything that deals with removing gun rights for any American.

If I were a Farmer, I would vote for Bush, because he knows the plight of farmers and ranchers first hand. One of the first things he did as president was arrange for me to be able to show the bank what my allotment would be for that year, so that I could borrow money to plant my crops and improve my farm equipment for cultivation and harvest.

If I were a Parent, I would vote for Bush, for the future security and the education of my children.

If I were an Environmentalist, I would vote for Bush, because as a true environmentalist I know that our land, rivers and oceans must be managed not just conserved. Forests must be thinned, and there should be controlled burns for the sake of the vegetation and the wildlife.� Some seeds will only germinate after a fire.

If I were a Soldier, Sailor, Marine or Airman, I would vote for Bush, because I do not want to have as my Commander in Chief a man who should have been tried for treason. I do not wish to serve under a president that would send me into war, without the equipment necessary to win and survive that war.

If I were a Coal Miner, I would vote for Bush, because he believes that coal can be refined to a gas, and that the U.S. coal deposits are the equivalent to the oil reserves of Saudi Arabia.

If I were a Manufacturer, or a Factory Worker, I would vote for Bush, because factory activity has been rapidly increasing this year. Manufacturers have added more than 100,000 workers since January. Factory orders in July were at their highest level in four years.� Higher taxes and more business regulations would inhibit that growth.

If I were a Christian, I would vote for Bush, because he most nearly represents my views on family values and Christian morals.

If I were a Jew, I would vote for Bush, because he has refused to pander to Yasser Arafat, who he believes is a terrorist leader, and who has done nothing to improve the lives of his people, or to be a partner for peace with Israel.

If I were a Muslim, I would vote for Bush, because he has tried to create a free Muslim society both here and abroad.

If I were a Day Trader, or Stock Broker, I would vote for Bush, because many stock analysts have said that if Bush is reelected, they expect the stock market to rise to 12,000 by the end of the year

VOTERS FOR SEN. JOHN KERRY

If I were a Trial Lawyer, I would vote for Kerry, because he and Edwards will reward me for my support, by not imposing any restrictions on how I can plunder the coffers of big business.

If I were a Hollywood Actor, I would vote for Kerry, because now that I have amassed a fortune, I am bored! I would like to be close to Washington power, so that my peers will think I am intelligent (even though I did not complete high school), and that I am a very important person.

If I were George Soros, I would vote for Kerry, because I am trying to buy the United States government and Kerry will be my perfect puppet. I would run for president myself, but the U.S. Constitution prevents that since I was born in Budapest, Hungary. I moved to the U.S. in 1956, so when the Constitution is changed for Arnold Schwarzenegger, it will also be changed for me.

If I were a Recreational Marijuana User, I would vote for Kerry, because the Kerry Administration is going to be totally obligated to George Soros for his monetary support, and George Soros wants the legalization of marijuana.

If I were a Terrorist, I would vote for Kerry, because he has promised to withdraw the coalition troops from Iraq leaving us a wide open territory for the reorganization of Al Qaeda. Osama bin Laden would then have unlimited monetary resources from the Iraqi oil, and Al Qaeda would be able to reimport the biological, chemical and conventional weapons from Syria

If I were a Liberal Judge, I would vote for Kerry so that I could continue to wield unlimited power by legislating from the bench.

If I were an Illegal Alien, I would vote for Kerry, because he will provide me with healthcare, welfare and unemployment benefits, even though I committed a crime entering this country illegally. Kerry will force the U.S. citizens who have worked hard for what they have, to pay for all this largess, because he will want my vote again in 2008.

If I were a Convicted Felon, I would vote for Kerry, because the Democrats believe that felons have a right to vote.� They do not believe that voting is a privilege that should be taken away from people who commit crimes against other U.S. citizens.

5 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I honestly cannot think of a single thing to add. Well said, my friend

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

Well said.

Amen.

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Cartoon Nazi said...

Bravo, Aussiegirl,
The “If I were” attack is great.

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger Cartoon Nazi said...

On further reflection; You could hold an “if I were… “ contest.

My first submissions would be;

If I was paralyzed I would vote for Kerry ‘cause he’ll make me walk again.

If I was broke I would vote for Kerry ‘cause he’ll lay some bread on me.

If I was stupid I would vote for Kerry ‘cause he’ll win the war on terror.

If I was…

God, I could go on and on.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Aussiegirl said...

Thanks, Rezyka -- and all praise for the brilliant "if I were" form is all due to my esteemed co-writer on this blog, BonnieblueFlag -- I thought it was a great idea as well -- and well researched, too, I might add. I like your additions, too. You're correct -- the possibilities are endless.

Aussiegirl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home