Ultima Thule

In ancient times the northernmost region of the habitable world - hence, any distant, unknown or mysterious land.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Thanks and blessings

By Aussiegirl

My deep thanks to BonnieBlueFlag for her lovely post on St. Peregrine and her prayers for my mom, who we just learned is suffering from cancer.

BonnieBlueFlag and I now join the millions of other families who have faced this disease and similar challenges in their own lives. She has been an inestimable support to me during this time as her own mother has also been undergoing treatments for cancer. She knows that she and her mother have been in my prayers, and will continue to be.

Both our moms are amazing women who have faced down many hardships in their lives, and we trust that with God's help, and with the love and support of their families, they will both face this challenge with the same grace, courage and decency which each of them have shown throughout their remarkable lives, and that in the end we will be inspired by their steadfastness and devotion.

Besides, no one beats me in a spirited game of "Durak" (a Ukrainian card game) quite like my mom does.

For all of you out there who are facing similar crises -- we both send our prayers and best wishes.

May God bless us all.

3 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best wishes to your mother on a speedy recovery. I have had family members who have been through similar difficult periods.

Durak? :)

OEC

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Aussiegirl said...

Thanks, OEC, the fraternity of sufferers is indeed large. You have my best wishes as well. Thanks for visiting, as always.
To those out there who don't know how to play Durak, it's a great Ukrainian card game and you can find a link to a description of the game and the rules below.

I'll warn you -- it's addictive!!
(Hint -- we use the entire deck and dispense with discarding the cards below 6.)

How to play Durak

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aussiegirl and BonnieBlueFlag, two wonderful people whose moms are now facing the same somber trials, you have my heartfelt sympathy and prayers for a good outcome to their latest challenge. The two of you make Ultima Thule the most interesting and valuable blog that I have encountered in my wanderings through cyberspace. I have learned ever so much about Ukraine and music, among other things, from Aussiegirl...and I have followed with great interest the many posts about the Church and Popes from Bonnie, who then turns around and writes a beautiful essay on nature and the wildlife around her house, followed by a sprightly dash to yet another topic that she then enlivens in her own distinctive way. Both of you, keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home