Ultima Thule

In ancient times the northernmost region of the habitable world - hence, any distant, unknown or mysterious land.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Happy First Anniversary



by: BonnieBlueFlag

And, what a tumultuous year it has been!

One year ago this month, Aussiegirl was bitten by the "Blog Bug." She was hesitant at first, and unsure if there would be sufficient news and topics, to maintain the kind of Blog that she wanted it to be.

I was very supportive of her desire to set up the Blog, while being very careful to never say that I would shoulder any great amount of responsibility for its care and feeding, and the good lord knows it requires feeding day in and day out.

There is an old saying about boats, especially the larger ones . . . "A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into." I often think of that saying when I think of Blogs, because, "A Blog is a hole in Cyberspace, that you pour your heart and soul into!"

My contribution initially was a few original items, the first being an essay about the deer, turkeys, and other wild life in my yard. I did think about that essay Autumn Views recently, when I looked out over the yard and realized that I would soon be able to again say all the things that I had said that day.

As you might expect, we initially discussed and posted numerous things about the November presidential election, including pictures of John Kerry showing that he was indeed the long lost grandson of Frankenstein.

Aussiegirl was wonderful in keeping "Ultima Thule" current and interesting, while I continued to keep a lower profile, as I did not have the courage to be fully responsible for a Blog of my own. Throughout this time Aussiegirl was very encouraging to me, she was very helpful in building my confidence to post the items that I have written.

Then came the Ukrainian Orange Revolution! It was as if the fates had created a coincidence of circumstances that would be very special in an important age. Aussiegirl was someone of Ukrainian heritage who had not cast off her culture, or her language over the years, in favor of everything American.

Ultima Thule became an important place for people here, to learn in English about the Orange Revolution, and the people who would be quiet no longer, the people who wanted their freedom from Russia.

Ukrainians found Ultima Thule and recognized in Aussiegirl, a true friend and support in the US. In some instances, she was even able to teach them little things that had been lost to them over time, because of the Russian domination of Ukraine.

As for me, I learned a great deal. Old ideas and misconceptions about the people of Communist countries were put in the trash. Those misconceptions were replaced, with knowledge gained from someone who had first hand information about what her parents had lived through while in Ukraine, and what they had all endured in order to come to the United States via Australia.

Happy Anniversary to Aussiegirl and the Ultima Thule Blog.

10 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Michael Morrison said...

Happy Anniversary!
Congratulations!
Bravo!
You have the birthday, and we get the present: more Aussiegirl blog.
Thank you, Aus.
And you, too, Bonnie.

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aussiegirl, let me add my own heartfelt congraulations on your anniversary! To think it's been a whole year since you began writing what I consider the most interesting blog in the blogosphere, and the first stop in my surfing day. I've learned a lot about all sorts of subjects, from Ukraine to politics, from literature to music, from philosophy to science. The titles to your posts always catch my interest and make me want to read further. Well, enjoy a piece of Bonnie's cake and start in on your second year of whetting all our appetites with your great blog!

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Aussiegirl said...

WOW!! All this and a cake too!! Thanks, Bonnie!! And thanks to Michael and Pindar, as well. I may well just branch out this year and start posting things about a lot of subjects that interest me that I haven't covered yet -- classical music, movies and books. Sometimes politics just gets so -- like -- heavy, man, you know? Y'all come back now, y'hear? (That's down-home Uke-speak, you know;-)

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. In just one year you have turned Ultima Thule into a "must-read" blog for those of us who want to stay focused on what's happening -- and who have a sense of humor.

You've done a wonderful job, and it keeps getting better.

Just keep going, please.

Herb Meyer

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really should thank MsFalconersCabanaBoy who suggested not too long ago that I check out Aussie Girl's blog, and I've been hooked ever since! Congratulations on your first anniversary in the blog world. . .I look forward to many more years of your wonderful writing (and thanks to BBF for joining you there!) on a variety of topics. You are a real treasure, and I'm delighted to call you a friend, as well.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Timothy Birdnow said...

Congratulations Aussiegirl!

You were such a great inspiration to me, and my own blog would never have lasted had it not been for your example and encouragement. With UT you have shown the blogging community how it should be done! You aren`t just on the cutting edge, you ARE the cutting edge!

May we be treated to decades more of Ultima Thule! Michael Morrison has it right; it may be UT`s birthday, but we get the present!

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Manny happy returns. Good blog.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger MsFalconersCabanaBoy said...

Happy Birthday!

Aussiegirl was always one of my favorite posters at Lucianne.com, and I just knew that she'd be a natural for the blogosphere. While I've neglected the Pajama Pack over the past several months, I'm glad to see that UltimaThule has not only endured, but thrived.

Great, great work, Aussie & friends! Keep it up and there's no telling where this whole "blog thing" might lead.

Walt the CabanaBoy

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger The Florida Masochist said...

Happy anniversary ladies. I love your blog and plugged it over at mine. Keep it up.

Bill

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Aussiegirl said...

Well, that sure was a great anniversary party. Thanks all for coming and helping to celebrate and for all your kind comments. Be sure to come back now, you hear? And hopefully we will all get back together next year again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home